Friday, January 28, 2011

The Sydney Aquarium


Sydney, NSW – 20 January 2011 at 8:48pm
Kansas City, USA – January 20, 2011 at 3:48am

This is probably the shortest post of the whole lot but I didn’t want to skip over the Sydney Aquarium…because it is in fact, amazing and something any tourist should see while they are here.

First the day started off with me sleeping in until 10am...my clock is beginning to get off track again. I’m not falling asleep until 3 or 4 am…ugh...

So after I got ready for the day I headed toward Darling Harbour. I knew before I went to bed last night that even though I hadn’t bought the bus ticket yet, I would be going to Canberra (said Can-bra) to visit some friends on Friday through Sunday so there are a couple of things I wanted to see before I leave. 1.) Paddy’s Market and 2.) The Sydney Aquarium. So I took off with a backpack filled with the essentials, a book, a sack lunch consisting of a protein shake, an orange and a ham & avocado sandwich, water bottle and last but not least, sunscreen and headed for Paddy’s Market to see all this madness I had been hearing about for myself. Yes, in fact it is a very busy place. They selling everything…everything you don’t need….t-shirts, bags, trinkets, produce, I even saw someone getting a tattoo….probably not the most sanitary place to permanently mark your body.

After an hour walk through the market I went outside to a park and ate some lunch and read my book before heading to the aquarium.

The aquarium as I’m sure you can guess has an amazing array of sea creatures…the only aquarium that I’ve been to that I think is better is the aquarium in Barcelona Spain…and that is because one of their exhibits is actually in the ocean…it is built at the end of a pier and one side of the building is built underground and is all glass facing the ocean so you never see the same thing twice...it’s very cool.

BUT…the Sydney Aquarium has some incredible exhibits…one being the shark tank.


There are too many fish and crustaceans to describe in a blog post but the jellyfish and the shark tank were definitely my favorite (you know, the two species you don't want to encounter in the water)…I could have watched them for hours, they were both so smooth in the water. Some of my fondest memories as a child are when my mom would rock me to sleep in front of our fish tank. She would shut off all the lights in the house except for the one on the tank (and this is a pretty big tank…some of you might have seen it in my condo) and she would rock me to sleep in her arms while we watched the fish swim…it was great…thanks mom for such wonderful memories!

Click here to see photos of the Sydney Aquarium. 

After I made it back to Jason’s house I got online to book my ticket to visit Susanne and Sheldon in Canberra…Australia’s capital….here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment