Thursday, February 24, 2011

Numbers at Random: 2 months

Flying Over the North Island of New Zealand – 8 February 2011 at 8:11am
Kansas City, USA – February 7, 2011 at 1:11pm
Jumped two more time zones…now I’m 19 hours ahead of KC, 2 hours ahead of NSW & VIC and 3 hours ahead of Queensland Australia.

I left the States on Dec. 6 and arrived in Australia on Dec 8 (a day magically disappears, it’s very weird), so today is exactly two months from the day I arrived. I’m currently on a Jet Star flight flying from Auckland New Zealand to Wellington New Zealand for a 28 day stay.

I’ve experienced so many amazing things along my journey and wanted to capture some of the data “by the numbers.” I’ve kept a little note pad with me everywhere I’ve been to help me document these random numbers either by adding the new item or placing tick marks next to reoccurring items…its crazy to see these stats.

So here they are…Numbers at Random:

Destinations:
# of countries visited: 2 (Australia & New Zealand)
# of states visited in Australia: 3 (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria)
# of islands visited in Australia: 3 (all in the Great Barrier Reef)
# of islands visited in New Zealand: 1 (North…but tomorrow it will be 2, the South)
# of cities/towns visited: 16

Transportation:
# of flights: 12
# of missed flights: 1 (Sydney)
# of airlines: 4 (Delta, Virgin Blue, Quantas, Jet Star)
# of train rides: 16 (Sydney)
# of bus rides: 9 (Sydney & Canberra)
# of wrong bus rides: 1 (Sydney)
# of ferry rides: 3 (Sydney)
# of boat/yacht rides: 1 (continuous for 9 days)
# of tram rides: 22 (Melbourne)
# of cars rented: 2 (Melbourne)
# of kilometers driven: 1263 (All in the state of Victoria, AUS)
#of miles driven: 785
$ of money spent on petrol: $117.05

Housing:
# of stays with friends: 2 (Joyce/Ken & Susanne/Sheldon)
# of stays with friends of friends: 3 (Elizabeth, Jason, Roger/Megan)
# of stays in hostels: 2 (YHA-Port Fairy, Nomads-Wellington)
# of stays in guesthouses: 1 (Olembia)
# of stays in hotels: 1 (Fish Creek)

Did you see that:
# of cricket games: 1 (NSW vs. TAS)
# of baseball games: 1(NSW vs. Adelaide)
# of games at the Australian Open: 1 (Dojokovic beat Federer)
# of concerts: 1 (Jimmy Buffett)

Random:
# of bush walks/hikes: 4
# of home cooked meals: heaps
# of fresh fish eaten with meals: 9
# of loads of laundry: too many to count (with only 1 bag of clothes I feel like I do laundry all the time)
# of natural disaster near misses: 4 (a flood, a cyclone, extreme heat, and a flash flood)
# of movies seen in the movie theater: 3
#of times I’ve cried: 0
# of times I’ve laughed: too many to count
# of times I’ve been lost: loads
# of sunburns: 3

Under the sea:
# of times I’ve been seasick: 2
# of times snorkeling: 2
# of times skurfing: 1
# of sharks: 6
# of dolphins: 5
# of barracudas: 1
# of manta ray: 2
# of eagle ray: 1
# of turtles: heaps
# of sea cucumbers: couple hundred

1 comment:

  1. I like the by the numbers segment! Make sure to add earthquake!

    ReplyDelete